Diagnosed with ESRD - End Stage Renal Disease in 2010 with 28% kidney function left. In January 2013, it dropped to 5%. Started twice a week Hemodialysis in February. My beautiful and courageous wife, Ninette, came forward willingly to be my donor and we started with the work-up in March. We finally finished everything and got approval 08 July 2013. We had the procedure the 25th of the same month.

Our journey continues...

Thursday, April 4, 2013


Have you ever stayed immobile for 24 hours? That's what I just went through. Just laid in bed, not allowed any movement for that period of time. Well, I was allowed to move 1 leg and my arms but that's it. I'm telling you... it's such a pain in the behind! I'm at the Cardinal Santos Medical Center again. This time for an angioplasty. 

I was told to be at the Cardiac Catheterization Lab at 6:00am yesterday. To save on cost, my doctor suggested that we do the procedure as an out-patient, then just get admitted after the procedure. That was just one of Dr. Rody Sy's and Dr. Harim Santos' ideas to help help me get the necessary treatment for my heart. The other was that he negotiated with the stent company to give a buy-one-take-one discount for the 2 stents that were used for the procedure. I am so thankful to Dr. Sy and Dr. Santos and the cath lab team for really taking care of me.

As I understood, 2 stents were placed; 1 in a major artery and in 1 one of it's branches. I did not feel a thing. They gave me a Valium and a Benadryl and I slept through the whole thing. Next thing I knew, the doctor was waking me to say that everything went well. Everything went smoothly and took just about an hour. Next, I was sent to hemodialysis to filter the dye that was used just as how they did it last week after the angiogram. The dye increases creatinine levels especially for ESRD patients. Hemodialysis was for 3 hours instead of 4 and no heparin was used since I was already given blood thinners so as not to clot during stenting.

After dialysis, I was wheeled back to the cath lab, again as a cost saving measure. I needed close monitoring so instead of sending me to ICU or to a room with a special nurse, the doctors just had me stay in the cath lab recovery area where I was well cared for by Dr. Santos and nurses Jay and Nanah. A big and tight dressing was placed upon the catheter insertion site in my groin area. But only after about 20 minutes of continuous manual hand pressure by Dr. Santos. The dressing was really tight. Then again, a 5-pound sandbag was placed on top of the dressing to increase the pressure. That went on for 8 grueling hours. I was not allowed to move my right leg.

They finally took away the sandbag at 9 o'clock last night. But still, I wasn't allowed to move. Only when they took away the cardiac monitor this morning, was I allowed some movement in the right leg. That's why I am able to sit up and type this. And you know, move other things as well ;)

Dr. Sy came to see me just now. I'm good to go home. Next step is to wait a couple of months, then see if we can do the transplant already. I am really thankful for persons like Dr. Sy and Dr. Santos. They really went out of their way to help me out. To all my friends, colleagues, relatives who sent their support and prayers. To Xavier School, Fr. Johnny, Fr. Ari and Fred.

This is just one one hurdle. We'll get there.

Enhanced by Zemanta