In 2013, I had a kidney transplant. After 10 or so years, my organ graft has failed and I am back on hemodialysis.

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Happy Birthday




I turn 51 today. And I am starting it with an early morning, as in 6:00am, hemodialysis session at the center. My neph told me to move my session, which was originally scheduled Saturday nights, to Sunday, and the only available slot is 6:00am. This adjustment is made to prepare for the much anticipated kidney transplant procedure this coming Thursday, 25 July. For those who do not know, I am getting a new kidney courtesy of my lovely wife, Ninette. 

After the Ethics Committee approval two weeks ago, we were busy preparing for our double confinement. I'm sure it will be a management nightmare with both of us being in hospital. Hopefully, we will be able to pull it off with the help of some family and friends.

Tomorrow, I check in to hospital and begin my induction immunosuppression. By transplant day, I will have no immune system to decrease chances of rejection. Ninette, on the other hand, will check in a day before the procedure. I'm not sure if I'll be allowed visitors, but I'm not hopeful regarding that. Maybe one at a time, must wear a mask, and from a distance. 

I may be starting my birthday in the center, but this is one, if not the most, joyful of birthdays. 

1 comment:

  1. and after your transplant, you will also have a new birthday, or a rebirth :)

    ReplyDelete