Diagnosed with ESRD - End Stage Renal Disease in 2010 with 28% kidney function left. In January 2013, it dropped to 5%. Started twice a week Hemodialysis in February. My beautiful and courageous wife, Ninette, came forward willingly to be my donor and we started with the work-up in March. We finally finished everything and got approval 08 July 2013. We had the procedure the 25th of the same month.

Our journey continues...

Saturday, September 7, 2013

Update + Gratitude


Day 43, post-transplant and I am feeling great. My weekly blood results show a remarkable improvement compared to when I was in dialysis and immediately after the transplant. Just to summarize some relevant numbers:


Pre-transplant 2 Weeks Post-KT Most Recent Normal Range
Hemoglobin 10.2 9.7 11.9 12 - 16 g/dL
Potassium 6.20 5.20 4.20 3.5 - 5.10 mmol/L
Calcium 1.90 2.15 2.28 2.2 - 2.55 mmol/L
Creatitine 14.4 2.3 1.9 0.5 - 1.3 mg/dL
CYA C2 BY CMIA 366.5 994.1 ng/mL Target: 1100
     
Also, urine output is ideal with no traces of blood or proteinuria. Ninette, my beautiful, generous and ever-loving wife and donor, is doing great with all her test results within ideal levels. What I'm watching for now is on managing NODAT(New Onset of Diabetes after Transplantation). The neph said this will taper down slowly as the doses of steroids are reduced. I should also guard against weight gain and developing a moon-face.

Staying home and going out only once a week and only to see the doctor is not easy. You gotta find ways of killing time. I watch TV and DVD's, read novels and the paper, and dabble in social media. For exercise, a walking regimen, back and forth, using the length of the garage. When the wonlds(cholecystectomy and KT) have completely healed and I do not anymore feel the swelling and numbness in the area, I will setup my cycling trainer and start spinning again; something I haven't done in nearly a year. After another 45 - 50, days, and I shall be cleared to go out of the house and resume more regular activities. But to get back to work, the neph recommended another 4 months. 




I would like to dedicate this next part of this post to everyone,; family, friends and friends of friends, colleagues, medical and hospital staff… everyone of you who supported us in this quest for a new life.


  1. The Jesuit community in Ateneo de Manila University and Xavier School, who offered our petitions during their masses; Fr. Ben Nebres who answered Ninette's 4:00am phone call and prayed with her at the time the doctors had to open me up again to evacuate the bleeding.
  2. The Ateneo and Xavier communities who included, and continue to include, us in the daily mass intentions.
  3. Frs. Ari Dy, and Johnny Go of the Society of Jesus.  
  4. Ninette's colleagues and friends in from the Ateneo Math Department; Ninette's close friends: The 'Searchers'. 
  5. Ninette's graduate students past and current; Fr. Eko Budi Santoso, SJ, who visited and prayed for and blessed me in the ICU and after.
  6. My Xavier School colleagues, especially the NExT Team for bearing some of the weight due to my absence and for the prayers.
  7. To my sister-in-law Pica, her daughter Lysyl, and Louren who travelled from Bacolod to be with us during the time when both Ninette and I were confined.
  8. To my sister-in-law Elgee, and Ben who helped us to do most of the hospital legwork and transactions during our confinement.
  9. My Kuya Noel, the De Las Peñas' in California who helped in prayers as well as the finances.
  10. The Nono's, my cousins for the moral support.
  11. The Peña's who spared some time out of their busy schedules to visit.
  12. Our UP friends Joey, Marian, and Agnes and all the others who have extended their support.
  13. Benny Lim and Xavier School Batch 2003... you surprise me. Thank you very much.
  14. The Coyiuto's and Revita's for their generosity. 
  15. Facebook and Twitter friends from all over the world who flooded my timeline with prayer pledges and encouraging words; we were overwhelmed with all your responses.
  16. To Claudette, my caregiver, who took care of me from the time I was released from the ICU until being discharged. 
  17. Our attending physicians who took, and continue to take very good care of us: Dr. Alberto Frederick Celestial IV, Nephrologist;  Dr. Sergio Simangan, Transplant and Vascular Surgeon;  Dr. Nelson Patron, Urology Surgeon; Drs. Dodee Niño Rigor and Rody Sy, Cardioligists; their fellows who respond to our immediate needs when the attendings are not available. 
  18. The ICU and 3C nursing staff who displayed competence and professionalism as well as their genuine concern, warm smiles and soothing presence. 
  19. To Robynne for the love.
  20. To Ninette with whom I will be forever grateful.       
This list is by no means complete. I might have missed someone. Please remind me. We'd like to express our appreciation to all of you.
    
Thank you for all your prayers… singly and collectively, the most powerful reason I was able to pull through. Maraming Salamat po.  

Photo credits:
sono-system.com
thefellowship.info
flickr.com/photos/roland 

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment